Sunday, December 1, 2013

In the Spirit of Thanksgiving

Remember that post I wrote about being prepared and having the backup hair dryer?  This one?  Well I'm telling you, I'm extremely grateful I had the impression to take control of my life and purchase back up hair appliances.  Major tender mercy.

I was having what I would probably term the worst week of my life.  I think I always exaggerate when things don't go smoothly but this was a very bad week.  I was trying to get everything ready for my big trip to Europe (I still can't believe I actually went!) and everything that could go wrong, did.  Okay, maybe not, but at work things were just out of control.  We were going to close on a big deal while I was away and I wanted everything finalized before I left so there wouldn't be any huge problems while I was out of communication.  I was having to deal with a lot of uncommon problems and it was extremely frustrating.  The night before I was supposed to leave I had a melt down of sorts and had to come to terms with the fact that I wouldn't be able to get everything done that I wanted to.  I got home late and started packing (ya, I'm a procrastinator) and stayed up even later so I wasn't rushing in the morning with all of the last minute items.  

Fast forward to 4 am.  

I wake up, shower, get dressed, put on my makeup, pull out my hair dryer, and.......nothing.  It was dead.  As a doornail.  Nothing would get that thing going. 

Now, after the week I had, this could have been viewed as a really horrible experience, one that would perhaps be the kick start of a dream vacation going terribly wrong.  Instead, I laughed to myself, pulled out my new (5 year old) hair dryer, and calmly dried my hair like this was the start of a dream vacation where everything would turn out all right.

And it really was.

Some might view this as a coincidence or just good luck but honestly, it was a great feeling to know that in a small moment of personal crisis, I was well equipped to handle the situation. 

I'll blog about my trip soon but just wanted to share my little story of the personal peace that accompanies preparation, however shallow it may seem.

(and just in case you're wondering, I have yet to update my outdated 72 hour kit in the closet..........there's still plenty of time for that, right?) 

2 comments:

Cade said...

Kandis you are a regular Boy Scout. Back up hair dryer? Wow.

Anaise said...

Sometimes it is the very smallest of miracles that build our spirits in the biggest ways. I'm glad you had a great vacation!