Monday, May 19, 2008

Black Thumbs and Other Various Disappointments

So with all the free time I have on my hands now I have been able to notice things that I want to change. A lot of things. So many things that I don't think that I would be able to accomplish them all if I tried. First and foremost is my yard. Since I mowed it last week I don't think it currently qualifies as the most ghetto lawn on the block but it's pretty close. I think the only house worse than mine is the one that totally deadend the lawn for some reason and now has various vehicles parked on it. I've never been much for yard work and I guess I didn't realize when I purchased a home how much effort it takes to actually maintain a decent looking yard. Why didn't anyone warn me????? I now know why so many single females purchase condos or townhomes......no maintenance. I was all motivated this last Saturday to get some work done, mainly weed pulling and lawn treatments. The first hour as I was jammin' out with my iPod I thought to myself, "This isn't so bad. I can actually kind of see why people would enjoy doing this." The second hour I started to get a little fatigued but was proud of myself for sticking with it. The third hour I was about to die from exhaustion and the fact that I had only made a small dent in the massive amounts of work I have to do. To top it all off, today a lot of the weeds are back and it doesn't even look like I did anything!!!! Life was so much easier when I really didn't care about my yard! But I really have started to care now so I guess I'm SOL. I hear that if you do a little bit each week that it's not so bad to stay on top of it but I'm inside updating my blog right now instead of pulling weeds so I'm guessing that's not the best way to stay on top of it. Oh well, I have always enjoyed complaining about something before I actually get around to doing it!

Another problem I've come across is that I've tried to take up cooking. I know my mom laughs at me every time I call her about some things because it's probably common sense but I'm so paranoid about ruining it that I make her give me specific step by step instructions.....like how to maranade chicken. I'm sorry but that's just not stuff that you learn in your accounting classes at school! She'll probably post a comment about all of those cooking classes she gave me as a younster but that was almost 20 years ago so I think time is on my side with this one, don't you think?

Cleaning is always an issue with me and keeping up on a 5 bedroom house isn't the most fun in the world. In my defense I do like vacuuming but my vacuum broke (again) so I'll have to fix it before I can do that and put off my other chores. Don't be too impressed that I know how to fix my vacuum. It only took 4 previous breakdowns (the vacumm's and mine) for my dad to teach me how to fix it. I think the problem is all of the hair that I shed that gets caught up inside. Consequently I have decided to shave my head and use my hair clipping to make a wig. That way I won't shed 100 pieces of hair per day or whatever the quota is, which will result in a fully functioning vacuum, which will also result in additional financial savings, which will result in an overall more pleasant demeanor on my part. Also, if I ever come down with cancer I'm thinking that wig will come in real handy.

I'm beginning to realize that it's not so much fun being a responsible adult....

11 comments:

Cade said...

You actually had a lawn under that yard?

GreenPhoenix said...

Maybe you should start smaller. You know: baby steps. Instead of trying to tackle your whole yard right off the bat, why not get window planter box and plant some flowers in it? A single square foot is a lot easier to weed than a huge honkin' yard. Then, after you're comfortable with something like than, you can move on to bigger things.

GreenPhoenix said...

Sorry, that last comment was filled with typos. I really should proof-read these things before I hit "publish".

sarita said...

I agree--baby steps, Kandis, baby steps.

Erika Bassett said...

It think it's time for another family service project...don't you?

Camille said...

You OWN a 5 bedroom home???? are you kidding me?????!!! you're supposed to be my little cousin Kandis with the long lovely locks. Now you're like the big boss mama Kandis that rules the world and does yard work. I NEVER do that. You're amazing!!

JaNae said...

It probably doesn't help matters much that there is a big patch of un-attended corn husks...located in a once flourishing garden. We could come over and clean that area of the yard for you:)Since it was are idea to put them there in the first place....

AD said...

Me and yardwork just don't seem to have the right chemistry, either. Hard to fall in love with a hobby/chore without feeling the passion! I'd much rather be busy expanding my mind with a passage of The Woman in White! I hope you love it!

Carla said...

Too funny Kandis! I like to work in my yard, but it is hard. When I bought my house I purchased a lawnmower that is NOT self-propelled. Wow am I dumb or what? It takes me an hour to mow my lawn and I think I burn about 8,000 calories doing it (ha) but it's good exercise right?

I laughed when I read what you wrote about cooking. I was exactly the same way when I got married the first time 20+ years ago. Hint: I marinate chicken in bottled italian salad dressing and then grill it. Scrumptious!

Diane said...

Hmm. Maybe you should do taxes all twelve months of the year and then you wouldn't be home to notice these things. Sorry we haven't been more sensitive. I would really feel overwhelmed to have to take care of a whole yard. It's a ton of work. I'll talk to Dad and get back with you! You will get faster with the whole cooking and cleaning thing with more practice. So if you want to come here and practice you are welcome to come!

. said...

Okay, way behind in the blogging world here, but I wanted to say that if I were you I would look up "Hire-A-Husband" in the yellow pages. Then you can sip tropical drinks and eat bon bons and update your blog every day while some random guy pulls weeds and mows your lawn for you. It's a win-win for all of us! Admit it, you think I'm on to something here!