Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The High and Low of my Memorial Day Weekend

The High:
Angel's Landing at Zion National Park

The Low:
The Grand Canyon

I decided that Memorial Day weekend would be a great time to jump start my goal for 2008 (for the record, yes, I am aware that 2008 began five months ago). One of my great passions in life is traveling. I love to meet new people, explore new surroundings, and examine new cultures. In order to add a little spice to my life I am making a goal to travel somewhere every month for the rest of the year. It's kind of been a tradition of mine for the last several years to go to Zion National Park over Memorial or Labor Day weekend, so although I didn't travel anywhere new, I started the year off traveling to the much loved Zion National Park. I have some friends who flew in from out of state and we decided to keep up with our tradition and hike Angel's Landing. You'd think hiking the same hike every year would get boring but this is such a great hike that you can do it over and over again and it's breathtaking every time. You feel like you're on top of the world! I took some great pics but my computer is on the fritz and isn't too keen on letting me download anything else that requires memory so here are some that I found online:





commons.wikimedia.org






http://www.dankat.com/



They're not the greatest photos but the view is just amazing. The peak of the hike is 5,785 feet and you can see almost the whole canyon. It's awesome! After church on Sunday we all decided that it would be fun to take a drive and see the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We stopped at a park and had a picnic and then drove to Arizona to see one of the seven natural wonders of the world. I had visited the South Rim of the Grand Canyon on a family vacation a couple of years ago and was excited to see more of it. At it's deepest the Grand Canyon is 6,000 vertical feet from the rim to the river and at it's widest is 18 miles wide. It was so amazing to see the beauty of the world that we live in from two very different perspectives!





www.student.britannica.com


It was a great trip and a fantastic way to start off my year of traveling the whole world over (or at least traveling the whole continent over, or the whole country, or the whole state......we'll see how my funds hold up!).

11 comments:

Liz, in New York said...

Ooooh I do looove Angel's Landing. You're right, it's almost impossible to describe and absolutely unforgettable to be there. I love that you do it every year! Zion's is probably my favorite of the National Parks and one of the BEST places on earth. I'm jealous!

sarita said...

Next vacation stop: Des Moines, IA!

Camille said...

You're so awesome Kandis! Why was the grand canyon a low point, however? it sounds like it was really beautiful. What a fun life you have! I got jealous :)

I love you cous!

AD said...

Thanks for the great tip about Angel's Landing. It sounds so amazing! I am going to put it on my list of must-dos.

We were in the Grand Canyon last year around this time...what a spectacular (literally) place.

Glad you didn't let gas prices keep you home!

Kandis said...

The Grand Canyone wasn't really a low point, it was just literally the low point, elevation wise, as Angel's Landing was the high point, elevation wise. Sorry about the confusion....there weren't any low points except for when I had to go home!

Diane said...

And what is wrong with home? Just kidding. What place is next on the list? I like the Iowa idea. Sounds nice and safe.

Carla said...

Sounds like a perfect way to spend a holiday weekend! I love love love Zions, its so beautiful. I was too chicken to hike the Angels Landing the last time I was there. Next time I'll be brave like you!

. said...

Sounds like an amazing hike--I'll have to do it next time I'm anywhere near there.

Our Family said...

SO FUN!! I love love LOVE your idea to travel somewhere new each month!! What a cool thing to say you did for 2008!!

Cade said...

Your going to travel each month for the rest of the year? I hear Tooele is nice in September.

Erika Bassett said...

Good to hear you had a great time. Love the pics and can't wait to see the ones from your trip. Angel's Landing has been, by far, the best hike I've ever been on! And it's all thanks to you and a few others that I was able to experience that. The traveling goal sounds exciting and adventurous. Just work for Skywest like Rachael and you'll be able to go places all the time.