Thursday, June 26, 2008

June

My travels for June took me to sunny St. George, Utah for the annual Bryant Family Reunion! We stayed at an AWESOME vacation home on the Entrada golf course (click here for photos) with it's own private pool and pool house. Unfortunately, the pool boy was not as pleasant on the eyes as they usually tend to be in the movies. However, pool boy aside, we had a great time! I decided to jump start my vacation the day before we were supposed to leave by "laying out" in my back yard so that I could establish a "base tan." Unfortunately, two hours in direct sunlight without sunscreen on my white body didn't establish quite the base that I was looking for and I ended up frying myself before the fun even started! I go through this painful process every year and you'd think that somewhere along the line I would have learned my lesson.....maybe next year I'll get it. Anyway, St. George was amazing, the vacation house was amazing, the food was amazing (I just loved the Hawaiian Haystacks that we ate when Michelle, Judy, and Warren came to visit). The lizard that I found in my room one afternoon when I was trying to take my daily nap however, was not so amazing. I was on the brink of dozing off when I heard what sounded like a mouse scratching on the blinds. I mustered up the courage to take a quick peek and saw the tail end of a lizard running through the windowsill. I yelled for Cade to come and "remove it" for me and after two attempts he finally caught it! All of the little ones thought it was hee-larious that there was a lizard in my room. Ha, ha, ha.

One night "the girls" went to see the Sound of Music at the Tuacahn theatre. We found ourselves surrounded by geriatrics but it didn't matter because the Sound of Music is simply magical. Let's just say we weren't too unhappy when Maria, Captain Von Trapp, and the seven children walked off of the set at the end of the final scene. On the way home from the theatre all of the adults were laughing about what the worst part of the play had been when Shanel's daughter Taylor piped up from the back seat, "Hey guys, you know what part I liked best? The popcorn!" The popcorn was pretty good, but those snow cones really beat the heat if you know what I mean.

Another evening Shanel and I were able to see a late showing of Iron Man. I was a little skeptical because I had heard such raving reviews about it and I'm just going to put this out there right now, I'm not a Robert Downey, Jr. fan. I don't know what it is about him but he bugs. Shanel and I both had our reservations but we ending up LOVING it! It is really an entertaining movie and RDJ redeemed himself (slightly) in my book.

Mostly our days were spent swimming, eating, swimming some more, taking naps, eating, and then getting some more swimming in before bed. Oh ya, we did squeeze some shopping in too. Boy, vacations sure can be exhausting!

Well, after six full days of family togetherness I can now state with certainty that I am officially the favorite aunt of all my nieces and nephews. Logan proved it when Cade tried to throw me in the pool fully clothed but ended up letting me go because Logan started to cry for me. Hmmmm, I wonder why JaKayla didn't cry for me when Jake soaked me in the outdoor fountains at the park. Oh well, I guess you can't win them all.

All in all it was a FABULOUS family outing and I just want to give a big shout out to my Mom for making it all happen. Although I claim the title, she really is the glue that holds our family together!

P.S. I also thought you'd like to know that my sunburn has officially bronzed. However, I had a slim 28 hour window in which it lasted. The brown skin has subsequently begun to peel and I'm slowly becoming the brilliant white color that I was just two weeks ago.

10 comments:

AD said...

Sounds like such fun! You make me laugh!!

Diane said...

Wish we were back there. It went too fast. And for those of you reading this, let me say Kandis was the haystack cook, and they were just as good as she said. Maybe there is hope for her cooking!

Jen Heward said...

You make me laugh! Didn't the lizard remind you of the mission? I have to tell you that Monday I took the kids swimming and like you forget that I fry. So after an hour or so of swimming my shoulders are still sore from the burn. You would think year after year I would learn too. I have to agree with you about Iron Man. I am not a Robert Downey Jr fan either so I wasn't very happy when Corey dragged me to it but I have to say I liked it too. Anyway, sounds like the reunion was a blast!

Cade said...

Family rules! Especially when they catch lizards that are sleeping in your bed.

sunshine said...

Ha Ha! Kandis you crack me up!! Btw this is your friend Lisa from high school. Im glad I found your blog!! Your trip sounds way fun. We need to play soon!! Another btw I read the Poison Wood Bible last year you will have to let me know what you think.

Judy Francisco said...

That lizard thing sounds pretty exciting--we didn't have that much interaction with live animals while we were there... The Hawaiian haystacks were YUM!--let us know when you do that again, 'kay, Kandis?...

Our Family said...

SO funny!! I'm so jealous that you all got to go on such a fun family reunion!!! I am proud of you. Favorite Aunt is a hard title to come by! I was there once....long long ago it seems now. Sigh.

I am also not a huge RDJ fan and LOVED Iron Man. I took the boys without Mark because he REALLY isn't a RDJ fan and was sure he'd hate it. I really think he would have liked it afterall. We all loved it. Have you seen Get Smart yet? Oh please please let's go see it! I loved loved loved it and it is one that I would love to see again (which I don't normally like to do!)

You name the day and place and I'll be there!!! :)

Cade said...

So the title of your blog leads me to believe that you are now going to be blogging just once a month. Can that be right?

WELL IT'S JULY ALREADY!

Erika Bassett said...

You're blogs are always so fun to read that I hope that Cade's observation is not true.

I'm glad you and your fam had an incredible time. Wish I could of been there for the lizard part...sounds very entertaining!
As well as the water adventures!
I think you still look quite tan!
Congrats on being the favorite aunt! It's a lot to live up to for sure! Keep it up!

Erika Bassett said...

P.S.~Way to go with the cooking!