Sunday, August 24, 2008

Goin' Green

So I'm still sitting on the fence on this one. I'm all about helping the environment and doing my part to "save the world" but I find some aspects of this trend......unsettling. I've been travelling a little bit more as of late and in every hotel I've been in there is this fun little card that encourages me to "go green." I can do my part to help the environment, the card says, by helping the hotel cut down on its laundry services. The housekeepers will only change the sheets every 2nd or 3rd day, which is totally fine with me since I tend to wait just a tad longer than that to wash my own sheets at home anyway. Check one for me! Okay, so another way I can do my part is to re-use the towels in the bathroom. Not a prob. Seriously, I've always thought it was a little unnecessary to wash the towels everyday anyway. The card recommends hanging up the towels that one is going to re-use, and dropping the towels on the floor if they are to be washed. Easy, right? Wrong. The vital piece of information that the little "green" hotel card fails to include is that the housekeeping service will fold your towels right back on the rod, as if they had been laundered and never been used in the first place. No problem if you are the only one using the towels. Add another person in the mix and those towels just get all jumbled up to the point that no one knows whose towel is whose. Ew, ew, ew. Wouldn't it make sense to just leave the towels in the exact location that they were when the room was serviced? That way it's a win, win (win) situation. The hotel saves energy by not having to launder the towels. The customer gets that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that they are doing all they can to "go green." They also win the piece of mind knowing that they are re-using their OWN bath towel. Genius, right? So I'm still trying to figure out who I can write to about this because it seems like the ENTIRE travel and entertainment industry is dead set on encouraging me to be unhygienic. I just can't stomach "going green" at that price. I'm going to Alaska this next week so although I'd love to do all that I can to keep those icebergs frozen, I'm going to have to do all I can to make sure those towels get washed everyday.

11 comments:

Wendy L said...

Laugh out Loud! Loved it.

Cade said...

Going Green means you minimize your "carbon footprint". I think going to Alaska on a cruise blows "going green" all to hell. Wash them each day.

Camille said...

hilarious!!

what in the world with you going to ALASKA??!! do tell!!

Erika Bassett said...

Take washable colored markers and mark the towels on the tag so you can tell whose towel is whose and then when it's been washed you'll know they're clean again. =0)

Lindsay said...

Lol! I was just at a confernce and I totally understand! They also had those precious tags. :)

Diane said...

I'm with you on this. I thought I was getting clean towels each day because they were all folded and put back on the racks on the cruise ship. Then I realized that since I had hung them on the hook they told me to they rehung them, just like you said. And I'm a bit fussy on MY OWN TOWEL too. I hope you can create a better system. You will be rich.

GreenPhoenix said...

Yeah, I quite agree reusing a room mate's towel is more than a little disturbing. It's almost enough to make a person want to tag it or something. Hey there's an idea (though I don't necessarily recommend you try it): bring a green Sharpie marker with you and turn the borders of your hotel towel green! That way you're "going green" and ensuring that no one uses your towel too! Yeah probably not, but I'd like to see the hotel's reaction to that.
You guessed correctly: I've been too busy trying to learn the Cardiovascular system over again to post to the Phoenix Roost, but Jenny has been regularly updating our blog devoted to William (there's a link to it on the Roost).
I hope you had fun in Alaska, by the way. I've always wanted to go there.

AD said...

But once you step out of the shower, aren't you clean? So using a towel to dry off a clean body...okay, I am with ya.

GreenPhoenix said...

Alright Kandis, time for a new post. I need my bimonthly dose of your clever wittiness.

sarita said...

I need a new Kandis post--it's been way too long!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nice Blog cardiovascular system works,Your body needs a constant supply of oxygen to function.The cardiovascular system information (CV system) is responsible for getting oxygen into your body, and delivering it to the tissues that need it.