Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Years, New Resolutions, and New.....Roommates

Please let me preface this post by saying that it's not my fault. It's not my fault I haven't blogged since Halloween because.......because.....because my computer broke. Ya.....and I couldn't access the internet to update my blog. And the computer at my office broke too. And my parents banned me from using their computer because.....because.....because there were Christmas presents stored in the room where the computer was. And I wasn't allowed to see the presents until Christmas, see. So ya, it's not my fault. But I will say that I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the holidays and that I hope all of you did too!!

So this new year has great things in store, I can just feel it. For starters, I have a new roommate! I'd like to introduce you to Checkers:






I'm not quite sure if it's a boy or a girl, it's just Checkers. Checkers is a beta fish that I've been fish sitting for the last two weeks and I must say that it's been surprisingly fun taking care of it! And by saying "taking care of" I mean feeding once a day and tapping the glass bowl once a day to make sure it's not dead. I'm not really an animal person. Never really have been. In fact, I'm not even very good at taking care of things in general. For example, once when I was in high school my mom bought me a Giga pet for Christmas because I really wanted one. It was an electronic pet that you had to feed, put to sleep, and do other various acts electronically in order for it to stay "alive." Needless to say, my Giga pet died within 24 hours. I really tried to revive it but it required SO MUCH attention. I just couldn't give it the love that it deserved. It was then that I knew I wouldn't be a very good mother.

However, Checkers has given me a new found confidence in my nurturing abilities. I really wasn't too sure if it'd survive living at my house. It was only supposed to be for a week but then one week turned into two weeks, and now I'm not even sure when it'll be going home. But until that time comes I'll be glad to feed it everyday in hopes that it'll survive yet another day. Each day I wake up and it's still alive gives me added hope that I just may have what it takes to care for something else besides myself. I think the logical next step is to get a plant. Or babysit one of my nieces/nephews without the diaper disclaimer. Or maybe I'll go help the orphans in Ecuador. I'm not really sure at this point. The world is my oyster.

13 comments:

Confidence with Corey said...

you are hilarious! it's good to have you back in the bloggin world!

Cade said...

I didn't believe it when I saw you had updated your post. After rubbing my eyes and pinching myself, I checked it.... and lo and behold there IS an update. Glad to see your ambition, and I don't give checkers another 48 hours. May he rest in peace.

Chris Beauchaine said...

Maybe you should try caring for a plant too, I hear they're good practice.

. said...

It's a good thing I have you in my google reader. If I had to keep checking your blog for updates, I would have given up on you long ago! I'm soooo glad you posted. Because girlfriend, you are one funny chick. Have I mentioned that lately?
I hope your fish lives on so you can thumb your nose in the direction of peeps like your brother. I, for one, have faith in you... One thing you could try is skipping parenthood and going straight into grandparenting. I hear it's easier.

Lindsay said...

I think it's a sign! Go for the plant! ;)

Judy Francisco said...

Yeah, I say a plant is the next step too--just not a fragile tropical fern or orchid (NOBODY can keep those things alive!). Also, a handful of goldfish can become very affectionate, bumping their noses against the glass and wagging their fins out of control when they see you coming. Honest, I've seen it happen. Plus, they're cheap.

AD said...

Kandis--so glad you're back. I've missed you!

Just make sure to keep Checkers far from the microwave...we learned the hard way on that one...:)

Wendy L said...

I vote orphans in Ecuador.

Our Family said...

HOORAY!!! Oh, I'm SOOOO glad you're back. AND, I have rock solid proof that you are going to be an excellent mother. Are you ready? It's name is Aunt Ellen. And try as it might, it is true what they say: "The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree". In your case, this is awesome. You have no choice but to seep greatness. It's in your DNA. I'm proud of you for taking such great care of checkers! (a seriously cute name for a fish btw) we have a beta too thanks to Aunt Sharla...fyi for when you DO have kids. Don't send them to Shar's house unattended. They will most certainly come home sprouting a new fish named rainbow, complete with bowl and food and then for the next two years or more you will realize that you've totally forgotten about him and run to the bowl certain of his death just to find him alive and well in his dirty and almost empty fish bowl. Poor poor rainbow. Now that I've written a book, I'll go for now. HOORAY again for the update!

Anaise said...

Glad you're back--I love a dose of Kandis in my day. So I totally laughed at this post and I hope you post again. My kids want a fish . . . but we already have a dog that I have to remind myself to remind the kids to feed and water . . . I don't know if I can do a fish too. Funny thing about kids--they get really loud when they're hungry so I've never had to REMEMBER to feed them--their built-in alarm system keeps me on my toes. :)

Here's to a long, happy, fishy life for Checkers!

Brooke said...

Kandis! You've been gone way too long! I'm so sad I didn't get to see you while we were in Utah. Hope you are doing great!

Jake B. Fam. said...

Kandis, looks great, the girls are going to be so excited to see that fish! Thanks for your updates! Love ya lots, Becky Jo

GreenPhoenix said...

Hallelujah! Kandis is back! I was beginning to go through withdrawls; thanks for the fix.
As for the fish, it is a male--female bettas are not colorful and have short stubby fins--so you may now refer to Checkers as him, that is if he still is alive (I haven't read the most recent post yet).
But, you may take comfort in the fact that caring for your own kids is a whole different ballgame from caring for a pet. Kids don't just lay down and die if you forget to care for them--namely because it's almost impossible to forget to care for them--they won't let you. Something about having a vested interest in their survival makes their cries so shrill that a parent simply cannot sleep through them (believe me, I've tried).
But, if you want another confidence building experience, get a spider plant. They can survive extreme neglect without keeling over. And they'll make your air fresher too--my school keeps them in the cadaver lab to absorb the formaldehyde fumes.
Fun stuff, says I. Glad to read you again. Good to hear that you enjoyed our birthday present as well.