Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I interrupt my regularly scheduled blog post.....

To say Happy Birthday Brother!
So 35 years ago the first chosen one of the Ken Bryant family came into the world. As the oldest he has set some pretty high standards for his younger siblings to follow. After all, he is the "glue" that holds our family together. Here are some of the lessons I have learned from him.
  • The best advice I ever received, just after graduating high school. Cade told me to really load up my first semester of college and take as many credits as I could. That way, anything less would seem like a piece of cake. I took his advice and although I didn't graduate in 3 years like him, I still apply this same principle to other aspects of my life.
  • When I first started getting into running, Cade was always encouraging me and motivating me to push myself. The night before I ran a marathon he called me to remind me that it would be hard but that was what would make it so great. He loves to quote Tom Hanks from "A League of Their Own" and say that if it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. I still hear Cade's voice telling me this whenever I want to give up on something.
  • Cade can be pretty generous. When I was a "starving college student" the football team at my school was set to play in the Fiesta Bowl in Arizona. I happened to be going down there for a friend's wedding the same weekend they were supposed to play. Tickets were pretty expensive and even though I really wanted to go, I couldn't justify the cost. Cade told me that it killed him that I wasn't taking advantage of the opportunity to go to the game, even though it was a team he really disliked. So he gave me money to buy a ticket to the game. I don't know if I've ever been so surprised or more touched by this gesture.

Thanks for the memories bro, and I hope you have a very Feliz Cumpleanos!!!

13 comments:

GreenPhoenix said...

Sounds like an awesome brother! Being the first sibling is hard work--hats off to you, Cade.

gardnerfam said...

Happy Birthday Cade! Love ya Michele

. said...

What a sweet little sister you are! And how lucky to have such a kind and generous big brother!

Cade said...

Thanks Kandis.... Now when exactly were you going to babysit my kids for me? (I need to take advantage of this suck up mode)

Judy Francisco said...

Cade rocks.

Erika Bassett said...

Wow! Wish I had a big brother like that. So now that you said all those wonderful things about him on his birthday....I wonder if he'll write anything about you....hmmm. Probably how nice you are to watch his kids.

Jake B. Fam. said...

What a sister, Kandis we love ya, I finally am finding out how to read everybodies blogs, and absolutely love it, Happy Birthday to you too! Love, Becky Jo

Our Family said...

How completely unselfish of you to dedicate a post to your brother!! That was so sweet! I hope you had an AWESOME birthday!! I want to hear ALL about it!!!

GreenPhoenix said...

Hey, did you get your package yet?

Camille said...

A) You're in love
B)You're on a trip
C) You fell down and broke your crown.

Now which one of those 3 is keeping you from the bloggin world?

Liz, in New York said...

Yeah. What Camille said. I miss you. When are you coming to see me, by the way?

Our Family said...

uuuummmmm, so where ARE YOU already??? I miss you!

GreenPhoenix said...

I second that motion! I'm really hoping that you weren't offended by our birthday gift and decided never to blog again as a consequence.
We're in Utah today, so if you want to come to Bountiful for a New Years Eve party, e-mail Jenny.