Sunday, October 14, 2012

Tips from Kan's Kitchen

So, in less than 48 hours I will get sworn in as a real life lawyer.

Don't hate me.

About 4 years ago when I first told my mom I was applying to law school her first reaction was to tell me she hated lawyers.  I think she still likes me, but that may be due in part to the fact that I told her she would get free legal services for life.  My dad has already scheduled said services.  I should probably tell them that I don't really know what I'm doing..........

But I digress.

So I'm going to be a lawyer.  I have all of these accolades and degrees and titles but there is one thing that has really been bothering me.  I can't cook.  And I really want to be the type of person that has nothing in her kitchen and a dozen people show up to dinner and she ends up feeding them the best meal they've ever eaten, you know?  Just something she "threw" together.  Like MacGyver.  But in a kitchen.

I've been trying.  It's been my goal to try my hand at cooking but frankly it's not going well.  I've even managed to ruin some of the simple things I used to make so well.  Sigh.  I think my ego is having a harder time with it than my stomach is.  But, I will keep forging forward!  I won't give up (unless I decide it would be easier to hire a cook)!  Come hell or high water, I WILL learn to make a meal without calling my mom or sister at least a dozen times with questions!

Here are a few things I've learned on my journey thus far (1.5 months in):

1.  It is worth the extra money to buy heavy duty garbage bags.  The heavier duty, the better.  Whatever the cost.  You will try to rationalize your way out of it, saying your pocketbook can't afford it, but don't give in.  You will thank me later.

2.  When a recipe calls for 1 can of tuna and 1 cup of mayonnaise use your head and think before dumping everything into the bowl.  Life has taught me that 1 can of mayonnaise equates to approximately 6 cans of tuna.

3.  When you think you are being efficient by buying mini, pre peeled and sliced carrots to use in your recipe (because, you know, the mini carrots could also double as being an easy "grab and go" vegetable to take to work), you are actually being less efficient.  It takes about 151x longer to grate the amount of mini carrots you need.  And you may lose some fingers (or fingernails) in the process.

I know what you're thinking and trust me, I'm not planning on quitting my day job any time soon!

5 comments:

Cade said...

Like

AD said...

Me like too!

Congrats on your new adventure as an attorney! And I will help you in your cooking quest by sending you a few of my no fail simple simple recipes. You'll be amazing your drop-in guests in no time! :0)

SO HAPPY YOU POSTED AGAIN!

Confidence with Corey said...

I Love! You are so funny Kandis! Congrats on becoming a Lawyer! You are so amazing. I seriously admire you SO flippin much! Keep the blog posts rollin! Love you!

Karina said...

hahaha. That's hilarious. Good luck on your cooking journey; sounds like you're having fun.

Wendy said...

Dizzle! If Chan can cook, so can you. My advice, start small, like popcorn, then jump to popcorn with butter, then popcorn with caramel, then popcorn with marshmallow, then popcorn with chocolate. You'll have it made in the shade!