Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Legacy

I've been pondering lately about legacies (or is it legacys? My spelling has gone down the drain ever since I learned Spanish so I'm sorry, you'll have to live with it for this post because I'm just not sure and my computer is too slow to open another window to look it up). As I was saying, I have been randomly pondering today about legacies. "What about legacies?" you ask. Well, I guess my own legacy. You see, I just realized that my little sister will be celebrating her 5th wedding anniversary this weekend. FIVE YEARS????? Where has the time gone and what the heck have I been doing with my life? Okay, so I've done some things but I was still blown away by the fact that she's been married for five years. She's got these two great little munchkins named Taylor and Hudson that are seriously the cutest little redheads ever! We went to lunch the other day and I realized that if anything were to happen to my sister, her legacy would live on through them. Then I got to thinking......how would my legacy live on if I were to one day kill over? I currently am without child and I guess you could argue that my legacy could somehow be linked to one of my nieces or nephews, but really they are the direct result of my siblings so I'm not going to buy into that theory. I guess I just want to know that "my story" will live on through someone.....not just through journals or pictures or letters that I've left behind. So, I've been thinking about how to make this happen because who doesn't want to be reassured that they will be remembered after they bite the dust? I have come up with a fabulous idea that anyone can take to heart, and I'm hoping, will help me in my quest. In fact, I hope someone does because without your help my project can't happen. Yes, I'm talking to you. Well, I'm talking to you if you are currently, if you are planning on, or if there is ever the slightest chance that you will ever become pregnant. I firmly believe that if someone will name their child after me I will be comforted in the fact that my legacy will live on beyond the grave. You may be wondering how my legacy would live on through someone who isn't my direct offspring? Well, it's all in the name. Whenever people would ask this amazing little person where their name came from they could say, "My mom had this fabulous (insert your relation here, beit sister, friend, cousin, mission comp, daughter (just in case Mom), neighbor, niece, aunt, etc) and really wanted me to grow up with that kind of example and influence in my life." Then they could relate the list of accomplishments and talents and desirable attributes that I was blessed with in my life, and finish it all up with "......sigh, I just hope that someday I'll be able to be half the person that she was." And that my friends is how my story will live through the ages.....or at least for another century or so. Now, I haven't completely given up on the thought that I'll one day have my own kids who will be able to carry on my legacy, but if anyone knows me they know that I like to have a plan. This is my backup plan. You know in the movies how a guy and a girl decide to be each others' backups? Like, if they are 35 and not married, they will marry each other? Well, this is my backup plan for kids I guess. You may be thinking that I am asking a lot, subjecting a poor innocent babe to a lifetime of a name that let's face it, may not be your first choice. That is why I, in turn, promise to spoil the living daylights out of my little namesake. AND....I will even consider the possibility of making them the beneficiary of my meager 401k (that is, unless I need the money for something else......like retirement or something. You just don't know how the Social Security system is going to hold up, but I'll save that post for another day). Anyway, this is my plea. If anyone can find it in their heart to help me in this manner I will be reassured that my legacy will live on. If you aren't too keen on the name Kandis (or if you have a boy and need a more male worthy name) I have listed some acceptable variations on my name and spelling that would qualify one to be the recipient of my spoilings. Thank you.

Kandis
Kalinda
Meldis
Mandis
Bryant
Kryant
Bryndis
Brykamel

These are all variations of my full name that will be withheld for my privacy (you never know what kind of freaks are stalking you in your blog, ya know? It's better to be safe than sorry).

P.S. The proper spelling is "legacies", at least that is what the handy spell checker on this blog is telling me.

12 comments:

GreenPhoenix said...

Hmm, tempting--perhaps my second-born. I'm sure Jenny would just love the name Brykamel.

sarita said...

When I first started reading I thought you were going to suggest getting a dog--and I was going to veto that one right away. I like your idea much better. Brykamel is my favoirte--why have you kept that gem hidden for so long?

ps--throw in the Nygel along with the 401K and you can name her whatever you want :)

Cade said...

I'm inclined to name my next son Bryant Bryant.

AD said...

no kiddies on the horizon for me, but I could go for one of those names for my daughter's new kitten...she is still dreaming about it but it may happen next year. Call the kitten plan c if no one else commits to a child.

I really don't think you will end up needing a contingency legacy plan--I think your Captain Wentworth is right around the corner...

Erika Bassett said...

Kandis...You are a legend! Even in the dictionary on line it states "a collection of stories about an admirable person" "a person who is the center of such stories: She became a legend in her own lifetime." That is soooooo you!!! You are truly a remarkable person and memorable at that. You've accomplished so much in your young life and there's still more to come. Your legacy will go on even if nobody names their child after you. I'll admit I am partial to Bryndis =0) but...the more I think about it, the more I don't know if I can name my child after you only because I don't think they can live up to such high expectations. Even if I only expected them to be half the person you are would still be a lot ask. It would put too much pressure on a child. Guess you're just going to have to live forever. =0)

Confidence with Corey said...

My personal top two favorites would have to be Mandis and Kalinda. Kind of makes me wonder what variations of my name there are out there. Maybe you could get back to me on that. Let you creative juices flow. In all seriousness though, I love your name! Especially the spelling and someday when I have a little girl I'll definatley consider it! I mean come on now let's be honest. You've played a major role in my life. Who would I be without you? It's a scary thought!

Diane said...

I hope I can type with the hysterics that are going on with me at this moment. I see a couple real problems with this whole concept. One, what if ten people name their children after you? Two, what if they go to all the work to name their child after you, choosing from that list of real possibilities (!), and then, wham, you meet lover boy and have ten kids and dump the namesake. I hate to be the negative one here but I'm afraid I can't go with Cade's idea of Bryant Bryant and as soon as the right guy that will qualify for beautiful grandchildren comes along and convinces you to drop your wild single life and have his ten children then your life could really get complicated. Just being a mom and giving you some much needed advice. But in the extreme case that your blog does come true, and there is one perfect child that carries your namesake, I will have to be the grandma to it and also spoil it rotten. Lots to consider.

Shawn said...

I wouldn't give up those name so quickly if I were you. You may end up naming your own child after yourself. Okay, maybe it would be odd to do that, but I happen to know that people do get married after they've passed the magical 25 year mark. In fact the majority of my friends and my self were married after that point. Some even a good time after they passed that fateful year. I think the Secret is to be positive, and always look for the best way to improve yourself and to put yourself in the place where you need to be spiritually and temporally.

Camille said...

AH I"m totally laughing. You're hilarious. Our babies are all M babies, so we won't be having a Kandis, but I could pretend their name is Kandis. It could be like a secret code name or something. What do you think?

Seriously, if we ever meet again it will be Zion to me.

how's that for Legacy?

Our Family said...

Look how good of a speller you are! You were right all along and didn't even know it! YOU.ARE.HILARIOUS. Seriously Kandis. I keep thinking your posts just canNOT get any funnier and then you go and pull this out of your hat. I LOVE Kalinda, SUPERB!! And what is Camille talking about, didn't she see the Meldis and Mandis?? Those start with M don't they? (psst..if you ask me, I think she was just trying to let you down easy...) And truthfully, I love the name Bryant and could TOTALLY see it for my next boy...except that I'm not 100% convinced that I'll be having him yet...oh, and how would I shorten it? That is my only rule. I have to LOVE the shortened part of the name. Maybe "Bry" could grow on me.

Oh, and I totally expected a St. Patrick's day post....you ARE the holiday guru you know! What's UP?

LOVE YA!

Our Family said...

Also...um, am I the only person that thinks it's HILARIOUS that your mom called your future hubby LOVER BOY??!!!! I LOVE HER!

Shar said...

Kandis your the best. Why do we not hang out every weekend? Your humor is exactly what I need. Let's go to a movie, did you see Penelope yet? It's great. Oh and my favorite is Mandis. I'm going to officially change my name so I can get spoiled rotten by you! I can't wait!