Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ode to My Ma

When my dad retired I stressed out for weeks about what I could say at his retirement because, according to my brother, there are two times in your father's life that you have to compile a kick-butt tribute....his retirement and his funeral. Well, I must say that I succeeded in accomplishing the first and hopefully I won't have to worry about the latter for a while. I wrote my dad a poem entitled "Ode to my Father." After some serious contemplation I realized that there are some people in life who never retire...our mothers! I felt really bad that I didn't have a "formal" setting, other than a funeral, in which to pay a tribute to my mom and then I remembered that I have access to a great resource in which friends and family could see how amazing my mother really is (for those who didn't already know that). Anyway, I would like to formally pay tribute to my mother in this blog entitled "Ode to my Ma." Also, I would just like to disclaim that this tribute is totally voluntary and is in no way, shape, or form in response to a comment left on Melanie's blog......okay so it might be because seriously people, how can I keep up with all of you guys blogging such nice things for your moms all the time? You're makin' me look bad!


Ode to my Ma
I've got a ma, she's real nice
I never once had lice.
She made me breakfast, lunch, and sup
Almost all my days, 'till I grew up.
She's clean, only sometimes mean, and walks everyday to keep herself lean.
I've got a ma, she's full o' love
If she were an animal she'd be a dove.
She works, babysits, and shops
And loves my dad, a former cop.
She likes Costco, her daughter named Mo, and there's just nothin' in this world like a good diet co'.
I've got a ma, she keeps us in line
Taught us to watch our nickels and dimes.
She's got attitude, passion, and flare
Because of her I have real awesome hair.
She don't cuss, rarely makes a fuss, and wants everone to have a very Merry Christmas!


I guess Texas brought out the hick in me. Love you mom!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey--what's up with the Texas hick comment? We're all civilized down here. We've got indoor toilets and everything!
Seriously, cute post! I lurk here often and this has been my favorite so I had to comment. I love your mom, too. She's wonderful and definitely my favorite aunt. I can say that because I don't think the rest of them read blogs...although I could be wrong and then I'd be in big trouble! (You're all my favorite!)
Love, Trish in Austin

Our Family said...

I couldn't agree MORE with you Kandis!! Your mom is one of my most favorite people in the WHOLE WORLD! She is actually on my top 5 list of most inspiring people. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the poem. You are so creative and HILARIOUS!

AD said...

Loved the poem. Adore your mom. The only thing you left out is the whole name change thing...there is an entire batch of Pearson cousins who still haven't gotten over the change from Ellen to Diane. But no matter what name we call her, she can only be described as an incredible woman. She seemed to somehow miss the Pearson gene for emotional over-reactions...I SO wish I had her even-tempered disposition!!!

Diane said...

Wow, what can I say to being able to read a tribute to myself without being dead? What an honor to be honored by someone whose opinion I value so highly? I realize you inherited your poem talent through me and I must say you learned well, as you did most things I taught you!! Thanks for making my day. (And to say thank you I will go do more shopping tomorrow for you. Was that your motive I wonder!!)

Shar said...

Your mom truly is amazing and I think that all the time. I often want to call her to be inspired, like on Mondays to clean my whole house. And on most days when I am wanting my girls to unload the dishwasher or clean a bathroom because I remember her saying that she never expected her kids to clean anything but their rooms while they were so busy with school. And every morning when I think of her out walking even when it's freezing outside. I do feel a kinship with her and the whole diet coke thing. I think if she didn't drink diet coke she would have been translated a long time ago! Love you Auntie Ellen:)

P.S. Hi Trish! I miss you! hows Texas?