Monday, December 31, 2007

A little late....

Hi, my name is Kandis, and I have blogger's block. I've wanted to update my blog with something cool for Christmas or New Year's or some really funny story....oh wait! I do have a funny story but since I have already started this post I will save it for the next one. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Okay, so I received this email from one of my old college roommates and I love lists like this so I thought, in reverence of the time of year, I would post it....even if it is a little late. I hope this gives you a little glimpse into how very materialistic I really am, and how I have fallen victim to a commercialized Christmas! I blame my mother....but my therapist says I have to stop blaming her so I guess you can take this for what it's worth.



1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? In receiving gifts I prefer wrapping paper but in giving gifts I ALWAYS use a gift bag. Hypocritical, I know, but it just takes so much time to wrap! Once I gave my brother-in-law a gift in a re-gifted gift bag that still had a To/From tag with my name on it! You really need to watch out for stuff like that.

2. Real or Artificial tree? In 99.3% of Christmas movies there is a cute little perfect family that goes on a family outing to find the perfect tree and for some reason it's always in the mountains or at a tree farm, never in a department store. In those movies they neglect to show all of those blasted needles that fall on the floor that you have to vacuum up everyday, or the responsibility it requires to fill up the water dish everyday so the tree doesn't dry out too early....can you tell I'm artificial all the way? Real trees bug.

3. When do you put up the tree? My roommate ended up putting up the tree on December 20th

4. When do you take the tree down? Well since I still have the Thanksgiving decorations up........

5. Do you like Eggnog? I really want to love eggnog. I think it symbolizes all things Christmas. I can never seem to keep it down though, it makes me gag....I think it has something to do with the texture.

6. Favorite Gift you received as a child? Strange as it sounds I once received $50 and thought that was the coolest thing ever. Ever since that time I have been asking Santa for the same thing I asked him for that year, in secret hopes that I'll get the $50 again, but I guess with all of the other things I ask for, Santa didn't have any more money, at least that's what my mom has been telling me.

7. Do you have a nativity scene? I have a ghetto little Nativity scene that I once ordered from a catalog. What did I learn from that experience? Never, ever order something from a catalog, it never is as cool as it looks in the picture.

8. Hardest person to buy for? Mummsy and Popsicle

9. Easiest person to buy for? Me! I went out shopping for some Christmas presents for myself this year and was surprised at how easy I am to buy for!

10. Worst Christmas gift ever received? I don't really recall a present that I've received that I haven't liked....mainly because if I don't like it I just re-gift it to someone else so that I don't have to live with a bad Christmas memory.

11. Christmas Cards? Once again, I LOVE receiving Christmas cards but don't really love sending them out and so I didn't this year. Don't worry, I've learned my lesson and will resume the Christmas Card thing next year.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? One thing I love about this time of year is the fact that there are hundreds of cheesy Christmas movies to choose from. I dvr-ed almost all of them this year and can't really narrow it down to just one but could make a top 25 list for anyone interested. Christmas movies are the best because there is always a happy ending and it's all because it's Christmas. If any of these movies were to take place in any other season, I don't think they'd turn out so happy, but hey, it's Christmas!

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I purchased all of the presents for my friends and family in 2 days, December 19th and 20th. It took a little longer to get all of MY presents purchased but I'm proud to say that I was very spoiled by myself this year!

14. Have you ever 'recycled' a Christmas present? I've probably recycled the packaging that the present came in but I'm not aware of any facility that recycles the actual present. If anyone knows of one please let me know...I'm trying to do all I can to help the environment in any way I can.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? I love all of the food at the Bryant Family Christmas party and especially green slush! This is also a very tasty Thanksgiving treat....

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? My tree came equipped with built in clear lights so I'm gonna go with clear.

17. Favorite Christmas Song? Faith Hill's "Where are you Christmas," the whole Christmas album by Celine Dion, Mariah Carey's "Oh Holy Night," Josh Groban's "Oh Holy Night," and I'm embarrassed to say that dang song about the Christmas shoes....anyone who can listen to that song without shedding a tear doesn't have a soul.

18. Travel at Christmas or Stay Home? I really wanted to go to New York for the holidays this year, mostly so I could say I accomplished 50% of my New Year's resolutions for 2007, but instead I stayed home with my friends and family that I absolutely love, and that was a lot funner! P.S. Consequently, I only accomplished 40% of my New Year's resolutions for 2007.

19. Can you name Santa's Reindeer? Rudolph, Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Comet, Cupid, Happy, Dopey, and Doc.

20. Do you have an Angel or a Star on top of your tree? The only thing I have on the top of my tree is the artificial tree topper....we were lucky to even get ornaments on this year!

21. Open the Presents Christmas Eve or Morning? Neither, I like to open presents right when I receive them. Once a roommate got mad at me for opening a present that had my name on it, mind you, and was sitting under the tree. She said it wasn't Christmas yet and I shouldn't have taken it upon myself to open it without her knowing about it. I replied that if a present is under the tree and it has my name clearly marked on it, it's up for grabs and that she was the irresponsible one who put it under the tree too early if she didn't want me to open it yet. It was a good learning experience for her.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? There is nothing annoying about this time of year.

23. Shopping...Mall or on-line? Mall.....Online.....Mall.....Online.....basically anywhere that will take my money!

24. Do you decorate outside for Christmas or just inside (or at all?) Please see the response to numbers 3 and 4.

25. Favorite Christmas cookie? I'm not really a Christmas cookie kind of person, I prefer all types of Christmas candy.

26. Do you own Christmassy clothing or jewelry? I have a red sweater and a green sweater but nothing that jumps out at you and says....."Merry Christmas!" Oh, I guess I do have a pair of Santa socks but they're kinda lame.

27. Do you believe in Santa? Why does everyone keep asking me that.....?

Happy Holidays!

8 comments:

Our Family said...

HA!! I loved this Kandis!! I've said it before and I know I'll say it again...you are HILARIOUS! I don't think this makes you materialistic at all, just makes you human, I mean we ALL love presents, right?!!! I'm confused though...if you like cheesy and sappy at Christmas, how come not sappy in a beautiful book called Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas?? Seriously, cousin...are you dead inside??!! :) HA, just kidding. I'm so happy you found gifts that you love for yourself!!! And, passing the CPA has got to be the BEST GIFT EVER!! WAY TO GO!!

Kandis said...

Well Mel, I guess I'm into the Christmas sap. C'mon....what mother is going to journalize to her son details on the night he was conceived????? Let's be a little more realistic and tell the story of a little boy who wants to buy shoes for his dying mother, and just so happens to provide Christmas cheer to the cold-hearted man at the store? Now there's a sappy story for ya!

Erika Bassett said...

LOL! Kandis, you are the funniest person I know! Now I want to hear the story! Especially if it's as funny as this blog just was! I couldn't help but laugh out loud!!!

Shar said...

Hey cuz. Loved the questions! Now I have a question for you; As often as you go to movies, please explain to me why you would choose 'Juno'? Please tell me you saw 'Dan in real Life'! If you haven't seen it we are going to it later today (New Years day)I MEAN IT!!! I'm going to bed, but I will review 'Juno' when I wake up... What's your phone #? Call me and tell me what time you can meet at the theater!:) Oh and I have been thinking about the best and worst movies of 2007 for awhile, the problem is, there are some on the 'worst list that I never reviewed because I was too embarrased to admit I saw them! Not sure if I want to go there? What to do...

Shar said...

P.S. Happy New Year! And I am not kidding about going to the movie later! Call me!

Diane said...

Kandis, you are hysterical. I'm proud to say you are truly my daughter and adorable!! Happy New Year. I realize I made you materialistic but it is only once a year. The rest of the year the Bryant's are extremely frugal!!

Camille said...

You just make me happy, happy, happy. And speaking of happy, my mama is going on the cruise. please take care of her (I'm holding you responsible if she wets her pantoonas because she's laughing too much!). And take lots and lots of pictures! I'm muy jealous.

AD said...

This post confirms why I am so ecstatic that my mom and I will have the pleasure of sitting at the Bryant family table on the cruise each night. Between you and Cade I have high expectations to be laughing my way through all of those double entrees and multiple desserts! :)