Thursday, February 14, 2008

All you need is LOVE

Another holiday has finally come and let me just get this out right now......I actually like Valentine's Day! I know that you're not supposed to say things like that, especially when you're single and "don't have anyone to spend the day with" but what can I say, I'm unconventional I guess. There are so many great things about Valentine's Day! First and foremost, what would any holiday be without presents? I know that our commercialized society has turned even the most minor holidays into a gift giving extravaganza but I'm personally not opposed to this because of my deep love of gift receiving....I mean giving. Secondly, the heart shaped sugar cookies are enough to make me want every other day be Valentine's Day (alternating with Christmas of course). Nothing says "I Love You" quite like a mouth full of sugary goodness. I've saved the best, and probably most contraversial, aspect of Valentine's Day for last. How great is it that we have a day set aside to tell the most important people in our lives how much we love and care for them? Ya, ya, ya, I've heard the whole argument before about "not needing a special day to express your love to those close to you" because "you should be doing that anyway." Oh, don't forget the whole "it's a 'couples' holiday that excludes singles" and it's "just another reminder that I don't have anyone." I'm not buying it. Yes, we should be showing our loved ones everyday that we love them, but do we? Do we actually take the time out of our busy schedule to show our loved ones that we love them? It's like those people who say we should celebrate Christmas all year round, not just in December. It's a nice thought, but I think our human nature is to be more self-centered and self-serving and it usually takes a holiday or special event to wakes us out of our self absorbed slomber. And I'm sorry, everyone has someone in their life to love, or someone who loves them. It would be cold, dark world otherwise. Maybe my feelings are a wee bit strong but Valentine's Day (and holidays in general) are exciting in that we get to celebrate life, love, and the little pleasures that brake up the monotonies of life.

Wait....maybe my life just sucks and I need holidays in order to escape the boredom! I actually think that my love of holidays, and Valentine's Day, stems from my mother and the fond memories she made for me while growing up. My mom took every opportunity to celebrate every holiday (I would get little presents on Memorial Day even) and special event in our lives. Thus I have come to really love holidays, even the one that I'm supposed to hate.

I hope you all have a Happy Valentine's Day!

9 comments:

Diane said...

Finally, a blog with some Valentine's Day spirit. Way to go daughter. I was feeling like no one even was excited about the whole day. Whew. I'm sure glad all my kids are as worldly for holidays as I am!!! I love you and hope you had a better day. Happy Valentine's Day. (Heart shape heart shape heart shape heart shape...........)

Good Carma said...

What a way to get heart shaped cookies from your mother, do you think if I say I love Valentines she would send me some? I personally am for any holiday that includes sugar cookies and chocolates, and now that I don't have to struggle with Valentine boxes for kids it's a great day. Oh and I do work for the LUV airline, they gave me a blinking heart necklace. Hey Elena, I'll trade you one blinky necklace for 1dozen cookies.

Cade said...

Happy V Day Kandis! I too have fond memories of getting fun presents and celebrating holidays. Do remember what kind of cookies Mom made on Boxing Day?

Our Family said...

LOVED this KANDIS!!! I finally wrote about our fun day this morning. I really was going to write all about it - even before your mom raked me over the coals for dogging on my husband instead of celebrating the day! You are so funny with the "gift receiving...I mean giving" that was TOTALLY my favorite part!!
Love ya!!

Sara Boulter said...

Kandis...Will you be my Valentine? Or my cousin? Can we do lunch? Come on!!! I'll make you a heart cookie.

Do you remember when we were at the lodge for the reunion..I think it was like 10 years ago...but do you remember laying down on the couches and talking? I remember trying to make each other yawn. Isn't that a crazy memory? It makes me laugh. Tell me you remember and that I'm not making it up.

. said...

Those are really sweet sentiments, Kandis. I love that your mom created so many happy memories for you guys throughout your lives, and that it helps you to enjoy holidays even more as an adult. What a blessing for all of you! It makes me want to put just a little bit more effort into it--since I know my kids love all of the holidays so much! I guess it means more to them than I realized! Thanks for the reminder. And for reminding us AGAIN of just how awesome your momma is!
P.S. My favorite line? "Nothing says I love you quite like a mouth full of sugary goodness." Hah! Too true!

Unknown said...

KANDIS DEAR,

Where was the
"Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday Aunt Kathryn
Happy Birthday to You"??????

HELLO-O-O-O! Who's day is it
after all??? Man, some people just
don't care about the REAL meaning of Valentine's day. All this time I guess you didn't realize your mom
was making those sugar cookies in celebration of ME!! Well . . . . .
celebrate it anyway you want, but
it is STILL MY day! JK!

Your blog is AWESOME - just like you! You should be called "Candid
Kandis", or "Kandis Celibate. .oops
. .Celebrate". You know that little saying "If the shoe fits. .
be proud"? I love you, girl!!!! AND, I hope you know I WAS just kidding! Honest! Ya gotta love those holidays!

Shar said...

Kandis! I'm a little bit behind on checking the blogs. I absolutely loved your post! Talk about refreshing! It seems everyone hates Valentines Day these days. My husband is usually the one that goes off about 'why do we need a day to show our love to our loved ones, it's so commercialized' yatta yatta yatta. But, for some reason this year I didn't hear any of that, AND he made sure I had a really special day, complete with a dozen roses, Hello! So now I like V day again! Thanks again for your wonderful post. P.S. Happy Birthday Aunt Kathryn! I heart you!

Erika Bassett said...

Kandis~ I loved your blog so much I read it again. I feel bad that I didn't comment the first time but I really must say...you come up with some of the best one-liners! Seeing that most people either repeated them or commented on them just proves my point!