Saturday, February 23, 2008

And the winner is.....

Sunday, February 24, are the Academy Awards.....the Oscars......basically the biggest award show out there. I love movies, I love movie stars, and I love watching the Academy Awards. Before you start judging me with a list of all of the Sunday worthy activities I could be participating in tomorrow, let me tell you about the elite Academy Awards gathering that I have been able to finagle an invite to. It all happened about three years ago. One of my roommates at the time mentioned that her family was having their annual Academy Award party and invited me to join in the festivities. Of course, I accepted. Little did I know that this one little act would alter the course of the next three years! Okay, not really but I really didn't expect it to be such a big deal. So there's a pretty selective list of family and friends that are invited to this shindig. There is tons of food and really awesome people and we all fill out ballots on who we think the Oscar winners are going to be. The person with the most correct guesses wins. There is a statue of an Oscar with all of the prior years winners' names engraved on it (I learned early on not to try too hard because if a "friend" makes the list, they aren't invited back the next year). The winner also wins a DVD package. Everyone also puts their names in a bowl for some drawings for free DVD's that occur throughout the evening. I know....it's bigger than the Superbowl. Now, my roommate got married and moved out of state but luckily I've remained close friends with her sister so I've been able to get invited again this year. Really it was a close call and I basically had to beg for my invite but I'm not ashamed....I love this family and I love their parties! Really, this is an event that I look forward to every year. Thanks Sara, for taking a chance on me!

10 comments:

Brooke said...

Kandis you will always be invited back even if you win! I wish I was going to be there this year. This is the first year since my family started the tradition that I won't be in attendance. I'm rooting for you though girl! I know you'll represent!

sarita said...

You go girl!! Taking a chance on you was one of the best decisions of my life!

Diane said...

You go and have fun and don't worry about your old mom and dad alone again another Sunday. You just enjoy the party!!!! Not really, I'm glad you get invited to this. Sounds like fun.

Camille said...

I got jealous.

We at least had boston creme pie.

. said...

I'm not a big movie person, but I would totally get into something like that! Maybe we'll have to have an Oscar party of our own. Did you have a great time?

Shar said...

I am going to do that next year! It's been too crazy around here lately, but next year, DEFINITELY!
Did you ever see 'Lars...'? I can't remember. Sounds so fun! does everyone pitch in money for the prizes?

Erika Bassett said...

Thanks for putting in a good word for me to Corey to ensure my invite! That was tons of fun for me and I even had the best seat in the house! I hope I didn't lose my privilege of being invited back since I did better than I thought I was going to.

AD said...

I love it...people can be such fun!

Did you feel like the sparkle was missing this year?

We tivoed it and watched the parts we were interested in but there wasn't much that was wowing. Except the songs. I like those. Glad Once won! Not so happy about Juno winning the writing...but I already ranted on Shar's blog about it and now I hope everyone won't hate me...

Can you score me an invite to this party next year? Maybe we could have a year's worth of feting Kandis to see who wins the chance to go to the party next year!! :)

AD said...

So about your post on my blog and the personality quiz...you should post yours! I wish I were green. I'm tempted to go back and answer the questions in a different way to see if I get the same result.(Sometimes there was more than one answer that would fit...like if I were pmsing when I broke down on the side of the road, I would freak out but if I had just had a good night's rest and felt good I might try to make people laugh.)

And you should get your own shelfjari and you can put books on your shelf you have loved reading or didn't love, too. I should have followed your friend's advice on the Pillars of the Earth. Ugh.

Linda said...

I think that "friend" whose name made it on the Oscar and was never invited again was me. I gotta say that the Oscar's kind of sucked this year. Those Roundy's always know how throw a good party though.