Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lord of the Flies

I guess I'm going to write a mini review on the "Lord of the Flies" since I wrote one on "Eat, Pray, Love." I am happy to report that I actually enjoyed this book once I got into it......about 3/4 of the way in! Okay, so it was a little slow going but it ended up being really weird and I guess that's what I liked about it. I just really felt for Ralph once he was all alone and fending for his life. I know there was a ton of symbolism that I missed out on so I'll be checking out the cliff's notes to get a deeper analysis than that my own little mind can conjur up. Another thing that I liked about this book is that it totally parallels LOST on so many levels! So there is a plane crash of young boys and there are two main characters who are basically leading the group, Jack and Ralph. They are stranded on a desserted island and Ralph's main goals are survival and rescue. Jack is obsessed with hunting and will forego all responsibilities to pursue this obsession. The only problem is, it's not hunting for hunger's sake but to make him feel more powerful and more like a man. Oh yeah, and he also tries to take over as the leader of the pack and basically leads everyone away from any sort of civilized lifestyle. Okay, is anyone seeing the similarity? Jack's main goal on LOST is to get off the island and survive all of the attacks from the Others. Locke gets really obsessed with the "magical" powers of the island and that he gets to live out his dreams of being a manly hunter. Then, Locke goes and tries to take over as the leader of the group, thus splitting everyone up. I think everyone can see where I'm heading with this.....Locke is a crazy man and will lead the group to their ruin! Okay, so maybe I'm making too much out of LOST but I was a little shocked (to say the least) of how many Locke supporters there are in my family! It's okay, I'll understand when you change you're mind and realize that Jack's the way to go.

Anyway, I highly recommend Lord of the Flies if you are in the mood for a book that is dark and twisty and feel like reading something outside of your normal genre. Also, just a side note, sometimes the author will write from the perspective of the boys. There are two twins named Sam and Eric but sometimes he will refer to them as Samneric. For a while I thought this was the weird name of one of the boys until I figured out that Samneric is simply "Sam-n-Eric." It was like a lightbulb went off in my brain! If anyone has read this and has any further insight to offer I am all ears!

5 comments:

Diane said...

Because my reading consists of very shallow books I probably won't be reading this one but enjoyed the review!

JaNae said...

I really like this book too. Somewhat disturbing in spots but good nonetheless...too bad the movie is rated R. I wonder if it is at clean flicks? Great idea having book reviews I might have to steal your idea.

AD said...

When I first got into Lost, I read all the blogs that were devoted to the TV show, and yes, the writers have even mentioned the Lord of the Flies connection.

When I read it, I never had the 3/4 way change of heart. I just didn't like the story. Maybe I am just too old....:) (I have really been worried that my comment about your age and Eat Pray Love could be taken as offensive. I didn't mean you are too young in a bad way. Like too young to have had a mid-life crisis. I think that was definitely a mid-life crisis kinda book!)

Malena said...

I agree with you. Jack is the way to go!

LULY2616 said...

AAAAA...ACTUALLY NO IT'S NOT I THINK RALPH IS THE WAY TO GO...B CUZ WAT! YOU WANT TO KILLED IF U DONT DO WAT JACK SAYS TO DO?..I DON'T THINK SO...SO I AGREE WITH WHAT LOCKE SAYS INSTEAD OF HOBBES...B CUZ WHAT I KNOW ITS LIKE UR GIVING ALL UR RIGHTS TO JACK KE NO?.. THINK BOUT THAT DUH!!!!