Monday, April 28, 2008

Here's to Good Health

I was born with a unique gift.....super human health. I blame my mother. She has an immune system that rarely, if ever, breaks down. Genetically, I have followed in her footsteps and have had a relatively disease-free life. When I was little my sister caught the chicken pox and passed them on to me. They lasted three whole days. I see people get flu shots year after year and the single, solitary year I decided to get one I caught the flu. I was really excited when I was putting in my mission papers because I thought I'd have to get my wisdom teeth out before I left. I had visions of being bedridden in front of the tv for several days, with my mom bringing me soft serve foods like apple sauce, yogurt, and my personal favorite, ice cream! Alas, I am wisdom free and did not have to get any teeth pulled. I didn't even catch any sort of worm or bug in a third world country chock full of little guys just waiting to latch on and take over your body. I'm making myself sound like the victim here when in reality my good health is actually a blessing. However, I am a very lazy person and I get frustrated that I'm not able to slack in my responsibilities due to an unforeseen illness. This gift of immunity comes with two unhealthy side effects. First of all, because I rarely get sick I have little compassion for those who do. I just can't empathize (or is it sympathize?). I try to sound compassionate and understanding and charitable and caring....but it's all a big fat lie. The second damaging side effect is that fact that my tolerance for pain is extremely low so when I do come down with something, I tend to milk it for all its worth. The slightest body ache, sore throat, headache, cough, sneeze, or unidentifiable rash results in me calling my mom in tears, begging for help and advice on what to do to get better. When I get sick, it's a big deal and I want the world to stop until I'm ready to re-join it. On the other hand, maybe I have a super human tolerance for pain and so when I actually do get sick it really is just that bad. Maybe I've been a walking virus my whole life and have passed disease after disease on to my friends and family without it even affecting me......

Probably not.

Well, I guess the time has come for me to confess that I am sick, and at the most inopportune time too. I first felt the effects on Saturday, the weekend. Of course, there's plenty of time to rest and get better without missing a single ounce of work. Also, family dinner on Sunday consisted of my least favorite meal of all time, sloppy joes. My mom was practically begging to send some food home to me (in a normal situation I would have been thrilled. I take all the leftovers I can get because that means cooking less while simultaneously eating better food). However, I had to pass on the sloppy joes and ended up settling for some Chex that I had in my cupboard at home. Sigh. I really don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me, but just a little sorry would be okay. If anyone happened to be in my neighborhood and wanted to drop by with some good movies and chicken noodle soup, I wouldn't be mad. Cough, cough.

11 comments:

Shar said...

Kandis! I am truly so sorry that you are sick! You know it's because you worked so hard thru tax season and your immune system finally went 'Whoa, I'm done!'sometimes you just need a day to relax and do nothing. Do you know how to do nothing? I would guess no. I would come and visit you, (honest) if I wasn't working every day. Speaking of which, what's your beef with wal-mart. It's okay, you can tell me, I've been really curious ever since your moms comment. Get better! Let me know when you want to go to a movie.

Diane said...

PLEASE! You already had homemade chicken noodle soup AND we did have other food than just sloppy joes. So although since my last illness I have been almost sympathetic, I'm afraid you are being a bit melodramatic. But get better soon. Love ya!

. said...

Hah! Funny post! And funny comment from your mom!

Um, now that we know you're a LOST snob, might you also be a sickness snob?

I know, no fair. You ARE a nice (sickly) person!

Cade said...

COWBOY UP SISTER! And get back to work!

gardnerfam said...

Hey Kandis sorry you are sick. I would rush right over with some soup for you but there is a few hundred miles between us. My mom never has much sympathy when we are sick. Hope you get better soon.

Our Family said...

I am sorry. Being sick is just the pits...whether it happens every month or every 5 years, it doesn't matter. I would bring you some chicken soup....if I didn't have 4 shadows with me that really don't know what "sit still and be on your best behavior" truly means. :)

Oh, and do you mean to tell me that if I had held off just a TEENSY bit longer I would have gotten a tribute from Kandis??!!! See ya...I'm off to delete a couple of posts.
:) You need to get better so we can go to a movie!!

Erika Bassett said...

Believe it or not, on Sat. night I almost bought you some soup or medicine but then I thought to myself,"nothing beats that homemade chicken noodle soup she has in the fridge from her mom".

On Tues. I almost traded in my movies but changed my mind. If I had only known you needed some soup or a movie...or attention...I totally would've given it to you! Now I guess you're going to have to wait forever and a day till the next time you're sick. =)

Good Carma said...

I am just like you, never sick wishing sometimes I could be a little sick to have time off work, but alas I too am rarely sick and as my daughter clearly stated I have no sympathy unless a person demonstrates real pain and agony, even then I laugh sometimes at them, but I say, enjoy your ill health you have worked very hard for it, pamper yourself, no one else will. You have my complete sympathy, I am there with you girl all the way.

Good Carma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Derek said...

I hope that you are feeling better.

GreenPhoenix said...

Hey Kandis, here's some sympathy for you: poor, poor sick girl; I feel your pain.
Now here's some advice on how to get well fast: Eat hot chili peppers! Not only do they give your immune system a jump start, but they increase your tolerance for pain, open up your sinuses, and make you look tough in front of every one else.
As if you really need health care advice from a failing medical student, but hey I figured I'd throw in my two cents worth :-D. Get well soon!