Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Night Off

So my parents have season tickets to the Jazz this year and have generously let me go to a couple of games. Although the seats are in the upper bowl of the arena it's still a great time to be had! I haven't been able to go to any games for the last couple of months though because of my hectic work schedule. Well, things are starting to slightly slow down at work and my dad asked me if I would be interested in going to last Wednesday's game. I really didn't feel like I could leave work early on a Wednesday but I graciously offered to take the tickets off of their hands for Friday's game. The Jazz were going to play the San Antonio Spurs and not only would it be a great game.....I was really interested in seeing Tim Duncan play. He's the center for San Antonio and he's captured my heart! Well, it turns out that my Dad and Mom weren't too keen on letting me go to such a highly anticipated game. I hinted several times that I would be willing to go but I felt a definite NO in their brush-off laugh. I shrugged it off and didn't think much of it since I probably shouldn't even take time off on a Friday night right now. So then I'm working on a tax return at work for a client who is closely involved with the Jazz. He is always offering tickets to my boss and my boss always declines (I know, I've had to talk to him about this). I was on the phone with the client several times last Monday and kept wanting to mention something about Friday's game but didn't just couldn't. I guess I couldn't get the guts to casually mention something. I get so nervous and it would've sounded more like begging than anything. So I gave the return to my boss and just happened to mention to him that if this client happens to offer tickets to Friday's game against the Spurs, I would be more than happy to accept his offer and go! We had a good laugh but I new my request was falling on deaf ears so back to work I went. The next day my boss walks into my office and announces, "your wish is my command." Huh? Well, I guess a different client had called him up that morning and said that he had 4 tickets to Friday's game against San Antonio and would he be interested in them. I'm sure that had I not said anything the day before he would've said that we were too busy and to give them to someone else. However, he accepted and said that I could go! Yahoo! I was so excited! He told me that it was an early game because it was on ESPN so we'd have to leave a little early. No problem for me! So Friday rolls around and we leave at 4 pm. The game started at 6 so I was a little confused why we left so early. Come to find out, the seats were VIP, 10th row, center court, and included free dinner before the game with free snacks during half time. I'm dying! So we go to get dinner and it's a full on fancy feast at the top of the arena. We're talking cloth napkins, 3 forks, appetizers that include sushi and shrimp, the whole nine yards! I told my boss I could definitely get used to this kind of lifestyle! So we eat and then go down to our 10th row seats. I see Tim Duncan on one end of the court and Kyle Korver on the other end.....my heart is beating because this is like a dream come true! I'm taking pictures like a fanatic and then call my parents to brag about my excellent seats. The game starts and it was pretty intense the whole first half! We (the Jazz) scored two points in the last 20 seconds of the half that put us ahead at half time. It was the only time the whole first half that we had a lead. Tim Duncan was playing great but I knew I had to cheer for the Jazz since they're my team. Anyway, I go and get some nachos and soda for my parents during half time and have a little visit. I tell them that next year they should buy season tickets where my seats were at! The second half of the game started and the Jazz totally pulled ahead and kept the lead the whole rest of the game. It was so much fun and the excitement level of the game was just like it was a playoff game! It was such a great night and I think it was my destiny to go since the cards aligned just right in my favor!
Tim Duncan. Some call him incredulous, some call him a jerk, but he holds a special place in my heart! I don't know why but for some reason I just can't get enough of this guy! It was great to see him play in person and although he didn't get as much playing time in the last half, it was worth skipping out on work for a couple of hours so that I could see him in action!!


....Sigh. Kyle Korver. Isn't he just so cute? I tried to get a better close up of him but I'm no photographer so this will have to do. He is one of the newest players for the Jazz and boy can he shoot 3 pointers! He's also the newest rage in Utah, all the girls love him!
My parents were sitting near the top in this section, can you see them? Ya, I couldn't really either.
The final score of the game! Although it was a neck and neck first half the Jazz totally dominated the last half and ended up just killing the Spurs! My man Timmy didn't play the whole 4th quarter, basically the team had given up and was only playing 2nd and 3rd string players. It was a great game though, and a much needed night off!


11 comments:

sarita said...

VIP??? Nice.
Go for Korver.

AD said...

Don't you love perks like that? Now that your boss knows what a diehard basketball girl you are, you'll be scoring those kinds of seats all the time! How fun is that!

And yes, Kyle and Tim are worthy...

Camille said...

seriously, the good life. You are living it. I have kids that barf on me. you have free tickets to posh seats at a jazz game. hmmmm I can dream, can't I? :) I'm glad that despite the business you're getting all sorts of perks.

ps... I have a tax question for you. Will you email me so I can get your email address?

. said...

Good times! Way to be brave and speak your truth! I imagine we'll be getting lots of updates from that 10th row seat in weeks to come. At least I hope so! Thanks for the pics. Clearly all my Utah blood has not been drained out because I will always be a jazz fan--even when they're playing our almighty Spurs...Great post!

Brooke said...

You really scored girl! Sounds like you had a great time.

JaNae said...

I'm so jealous...I love the spurs.

Sarah said...

I am sooo jealous! Matt and I went to one game this year in the lower bowl and paid dearly for it. I think I need to get season tickets and you can come if there is a game where Matt is out of town. Deal?

Diane said...

To announce our pathetic seats is one thing, to show a picture was just mean. Oh well, I can face that we have nosebleed seats. At least we get to go. Maybe someday when we have wealthy children who feel sorry for us they can get us seats where we can actually see!!!

Good Carma said...

I would have thought accountants were smarter than to turn down any tickets, tell your boss to learn from your mistakes, like not taking a ticket from aunt Anna for doing her taxes. Hello, people want to show appreciation when a job is well done. I told her to try again letting her know you have reconsidered, I will continue to look out for my adorable nieces and nephews.

Erika Bassett said...

So how is it living the good life??? Seems that things are going your way when it comes to the courts! Well, I guess you won't be needing tickets from your parents anymore huh? Sweet Pics!!! Tim Duncan is a great player but whenever I think of the Spurs I can't help but think of David Robinson. He was my favorite. Good luck choosing between Duncan and Korver. I guess the real question you should ask yourself is...do I want white or brown sugar??? =0)

Brian, Shanel, Taylor + Hudson said...

Im just glad you didn't have to enjoy game with stinky man in back and crazy rapists on your side. it sounded much more enjoyable. Im jealous.(inside joke)